Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Shack

I just finished reading The Shack by William P. Young. I've had it on my shelf for a while always with the intention of reading it soon. I started it twice but because its not unusual to be reading several books (3-5) at the same time, I'm not always prompt in reading the entirety of a single volume. I was nearly a third of the way through when my daughter Joy came to me asking if I had a good book she could read. Involved with a couple of other books at that moment I loaned her my copy of The Shack. Having some real spiritual depth to her I wanted her opinion before I finished it myself.

Finding it difficult to put down, she finished it quickly and gave it to her husband Matt. He finished it in short order and approached me asking if I had finished reading it. I reminded him than my copy was in his possession. Thrusting my copy which was in his hand at me he said, "hurry up and finish it, I want to talk. This might be the best book I've read." The interesting thing was that he was not the first to say those words; several others had voiced the same thing.

I also gave the book my son James who reads extensively and writes a bit occasionally. So impressed by the book, he ordered a dozen copies to give away. I have another friend who has given 36 copies out. And this book has yet to be released to the public. You can order copies of The Shack at on the book's website.

Its not the best book I've read, but definitely on my Top 10 List. I do agree with Eugene Peterson's blurb on the front cover; "This book has the potential to do for our generation what John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress did for his."

There are many good elements to this book, but preeminent is the picture it paints of God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit working with and in one person's life in the midst of great tragedy. A fresh perspective of the Godhead that is authentic, real and engaging. I believe the narrative and truths therein will be welcomed by many within contemporary culture. I'll probably say more about this wonderful book later.

No comments: