Thursday, July 26, 2007

Working for Justice

There’s no way to hang onto the Christian faith without taking seriously God’s longing for equality for the total human family. Lots of people have heard of God being just, but they don’t even think about attempting to literally embody that justice. “What does that mean? How much privilege do I have a right to hang onto? How much privilege do I have a right to pass on to my children? Do I have a right to spend all my resources seeing that my children get a university education when other children don’t get any education at all?” That’s privilege. People say, “Well, if I can educate my children, they are then going to use their education to work for compassion and justice.” But that doesn’t normally happen. That education is usually used for self-advancement and perpetuat¬ing the separation.
– Gordon Cosby

No comments: