Thursday, April 05, 2007

Maunday Thursday

Today is Maunday Thursday on the Liturgical Church calendar. A part of Passion Week that has been somewhat ignored by much of the Western Church in recent times. This morning at a meeting I attend the first Thursday of each month my friend Dennis Fuqua reminded us of the significance of Maundy Thursday. He shared that word Maundy comes from the Latin word from which we get our English word mandate. This is the day when we are reminded of and seek to make fresh the new mandate or commandment Jesus gave His followers in the upper room discourse.

John 13:34-35: "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."


We need to be reminded that this is a command that needs our attention, not just during Passion Week, but through out the rest of the year. May we embody it in a way that "the world might know." Thank you Dennis for the reminder.

1 comment:

Alan said...

You must be careful or you'll end up sitting in a liturgical church wondering what all the colors are for... LOL Sry I missed today.

Peace
Alan